Payroll & Benefits Specialist
The Payroll & Benefits Specialist is responsible for the administration of retirement benefits, leave management and payroll support, ensuring timeliness and accuracy. In this role, you will assist in the bi-weekly payroll processing, conduct audits for each payroll processed, including final audit, audit of termination checks, and responding to reports and requests. The ideal candidate will have 5 years of experience human resources within payroll and benefits, attention to detail and strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Conduct audits for each payroll processed, including final audit, audit of termination checks, quarterly tax reconciliation, and responding to accounting reports and requests.
- Process deductions in arrears for biweekly payroll management and annual back office adjustments.
- Partner with benefits team for COBRA support and gross up requests
- Backup support for processing payroll, including auditing and updating timesheets, processing garnishments and benefit deductions, etc. Ensures accurate and timely payroll input, output, and delivery.
- Administers employee savings plans that may include the company’s 401(k) plan, pension, and deferred compensation programs.
- Responds to 401(k) inquiries from managers and employees relating to enrollments, plan changes and contribution amounts.
- Manages the annual catch-up contribution enrollment.
- Ensures organizational compliance with federal and local regulations, audits, and non-discrimination laws
- Processes and administers all leave-of-absence requests and disability paperwork: medical, personal, disability, FMLA and state leaves.
- Effectively interprets FMLA and ADA implications as they relate to leaves of absences/disabilities.
- Responds to all leave management inquiries from employees and medical professionals maintaining highest confidentiality as required under HIPAA.
- Assists with the open enrollment process and provides backup support for others on benefits team.
- Coordinate retirement benefits processing. Handle enrollments, terminations, changes, beneficiaries, disability, accident and death claims, rollovers, QDROs, QMCSOs, distributions, loans, hardships and compliance testing.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in human resources with a concentration in payroll and benefits
- Proficient in developing and implementing new policies, procedures and programs
- Ability to develop and coordinate projects and timelines
- General administrative support experience with an understanding of basic Payroll concepts including, but not limited to: timesheet tracking, accruals, tax set-up and garnishments
- General knowledge of state and federal laws as they relate to payroll and employment law
- Education: Bachelor’s degree (preferably in Business Administration or other related fields of study)
- Certification/License: PHR/SPHR, SHRM CP/SCP or CEBS preferred