Our client in Downtown Houston is seeking a Payroll Specialist to perform a variety of functions necessary for the accurate calculation of wages, benefits and taxes, maintenance of records and allocation of funds. You will coordinate, validate and implement work procedures that require a comprehensive operational knowledge of federal and state regulations related to wage garnishment, taxation and wage‐hour law.
As the Payroll Specialist, you will performs advanced analytical and technical work within specialized areas of payroll. This position requires expertise in payroll functions, and the ability to make technical decisions requiring application, analysis and interpretation of data, procedures, company policy, and law. The Senior Payroll Specialist practices continuous improvement to ensure best practices are implemented and maintained and requires a thorough working knowledge of payroll resource information systems and agencies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in processing payroll cycles including manual entries, tax computations and deductions
- Ensure employees are paid accurately and timely with correct withholding and deductions and in compliance with collective bargaining agreements, legislation, or other regulatory instruments
- Preparing reports for management or to meet legislative obligations
- Answering complex questions from employees and managers regarding payroll matters
- Monthly, quarterly and year‐end balancing and reconciliations
- Process garnishments, child support orders, tax levies, and all other income withholding orders as directed.
- Develop and maintain standard operating procedures
- Complete daily departmental tasks; audit daily work for integrity and report any discrepancies to management
- Support, develop, and maintain effective communication and excellent relationship with internal customers including ensuring their requirements are identified and consistently met
- Participate in the development, design, measurement of assigned projects and ensure analytical and control activities are operating effectively within the department.
- Promote an effective relationship amongst the Finance Shared Services Center, the business unit, other corporate departments and ensures effective operational processes
- Promote continuous measurement, development and improvement of customer service quality and efficiency; assist with execution and implementation of process improvement initiatives
- Support Company strategies and business plans to meet the individual and departmental performance requirements
- Investigate and prevent control and compliance risks to protect the company’s assets from unethical behavior
- Adhere and drive department policies and procedures to ensure successful internal/external audits · Provide training related to payroll
- Protect confidentiality of records and information about employees, and use discretion when sharing any such information within legal confines
- Perform other job‐related duties as requested
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Two (2) years of related experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Management or equivalent training or experience
- Two (2) years of experience in Payroll, Accounting, Finance or Compliance (Accounts Receivable, General Ledger, Payroll, Etc.)
- Experience using Microsoft Office (Excel, Access, Outlook, Power Point, Word) and Adobe software, including constructing spreadsheets, use of formulas and formatting
- Knowledge of computer systems applicable to payroll, time and attendance, and accounting applications
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Able to assess and perform assigned tasks across multiple business units
- Ability to identify opportunities and innovative ideas and communicate them effectively.
- Identify, recommend and apply processes to automate and improve workflow, quality and future growth of the department through the use of technology (RPA, AI etc.)
- Adapt and support a process improvement environment from the use of automation and digital innovation
- Demonstrate ability to manage and support multiple tasks and priorities to meet the demands and nuances of a large‐scale company
- Able to perform and enhance established service level agreements, performance metrics and KPIs
- Able to anticipate situations, tools needed, and obstacles through critical thinking and review of data
- Able to gather process information and make recommendations and decisions based on data and findings · Able to produce high quality work products, with consistency, accuracy and completeness
- Able to work on multiple levels from resolving individual support issues to leading large strategic projects
- Must possess ability to prioritize conflicting duties and maintain timeline integrity for projects and tasks
- Strong team player that has a direct approach and is solution oriented
- Excellent customer service skills and interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with all business contacts
- Assist with facilitating implementation of best practices through project management and analytical analysis to achieve standardization across all finance related functions