As a Payroll Specialist, you will be responsible for the accuracy, and timeliness of assigned payroll runs. You are expected to understand and manage statutory requirements, along with policy changes and updates to ensure the reconciliation of payroll meets audit requirements. The Payroll Specialist will possess significant experience in multi-state payroll processing, the ability to multi-task in a challenging and ever-changing environment while delivering exceptional customer service to improve the satisfaction of our business partners.
- Timely and accurate processing payroll according to established payroll schedule and in compliance with established SOX procedures. This includes utilizing timekeeping system files, spreadsheet uploads, and manual data entry for employee hours. Ability to balance payroll and reconcile discrepancies in a tight time frame prior to service provider transmission is required.
- Accurate processing of employee pay in accordance with regulations.
- Process bonuses, special payments, and taxable cash and non-cash fringe benefits.
- Employee maintenance including direct deposits, garnishments, federal and state tax set ups.
- Calculating and processing manual checks as required.
- Timely research and resolution to payroll inquiries from employees, HR, department managers, and other parties while maintaining top notch customer service and sense of urgency.
- Able to interpret and execute in accordance with Union Collective Bargaining Agreements.
- Maintain confidentiality of payroll information.
- Remain in constant communication with teammates and management.
- Document processes and maintain to ensure consistency with each payroll
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel required
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- High level of attention to detail
- Strong work ethic and team player
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong interpersonal (verbal and written) communication skills
- Ability to comfortably work in a fast paced, time sensitive environment
- Organizational, multi-tasking, and prioritizing skills.
- Garnishment processing experience
- Union experience preferred
- Working knowledge of payroll best practices.
- Basic federal, state and local tax knowledge
- Minimum of 2 years experience with a high volume payroll